Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 2 - The Aran Islands

 
We woke up early this morning to head to the Aran Islands. Even though it seemed like a nice warm day, I was shocked the ferry ride over was so cold! The wind was cutting right through my rain jacket. As we were aboard the 20 minute ferry ride, I met a couple who was headed to the same place we are! She was from South Africa and he was from Ireland. As we got to talking, she said something that I think will really stick to me – “Americans live to work, but the Irish work to live.” Maybe this was the first lesson I was destined to learn during my time here. With my senior year right around the corner, maybe I should take this to heart.

As we arrived to the Island, it did not get much warmer. In fact, it started to rain. We were planning on renting bikes and riding through the island, but instead, we hired a driver. The island was beautiful. I cannot believe people live right on the island. It is not like the islands I am used to however, this island was not tropical or glamorous, it was homey and comfortable. The locals were so kind to us – and made a great bowl of stew!

We battled the rain and hiked up and down the hills to ensure we would get to see every tourist location the island had to offer. Though I did not understand what each place represented, I knew it was beautiful and I was lucky to see every bit of it.

I am still working on beating this jet lag – I am hoping for a good night’s sleep tonight – wish me luck!

Sláinte!
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment