Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 13 - New Grange and The Hill of Tara

Back at school my friends always make fun of me that I have bad luck. I thought that once I spent two weeks in Ireland and even kissed the Blarney Stone, that bad luck was gone! Today reminded me of how the funniest things can happen which create the best memories!

Early this morning, we woke up and made our way to a tour bus which would take us to New Grange and the Hill of Tara. New Grange is the oldest standing building in the history of the world. It dated back to 5000 B.C. The New Grange structure is a circular rock building in which you walk through a narrow cave and end up in an open chamber room. Those who made the structure designed the narrow cave that only on the Winter Solstice will the open chamber be lit up by the sun. So, while our guide shut off all of the lights to portray the Winter Solstice, my foot was in the way and I ruined it for all of the visitors! WOOPS! But, everyone laughed (besides the guide) and it makes for a funny story.

New Grange


The next stop was the Hill of Tara. When we arrived we saw an open field full of hills. We decided to climb up to the top of the tallest one to get the best view. We were told that on a clear day, you can see 15 of Ireland’s counties. We were also warned that day that it rained earlier that morning, and that the grassy hills would be a little slippery. I had no problem climbing up to the top of the hill, but I had no clue how to get down. So, as I inched my steps to get down the hill, I finally fell on my butt and slid right into my friend Jeremy who slid down the rest of the hill with me. As we looked up to see if anyone was watching, there were about 30 other tourists at the top of the hill who watched the whole thing happen! Another WOOPS!

Me on top of the Hill of Tara!


Now that I am back in the hostel with a fresh pair of pants on, we are headed out for one last meal and another good time! Before we go though, I have a lot of packing to do!

Sláinte!
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment