Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 1 - The Cliffs of Moher


So, after many months of planning, saving my money and building up my excitement, I have finally arrived in Ireland! The next two weeks I know are going to be full of adventure and I plan to learn lessons about myself, my heritage and about the Irish Catholic identity that I see day in and day out at Mercyhurst. I am hoping to meet up with a few of my Mercyhurst friends who are from Ireland, too!

The flights were long, but well worth it. I am relieved that none of my luggage has been lost. It was hard enough to fit two weeks’ worth of my life into one bag – so phew! We exchanged our money, got our first Irish cup of coffee and headed to the Cliffs of Moher!

Though I have been here before with my family at Thanksgiving, the Cliffs went above my expectations. The view took my breath away again. Usually I am terrified of heights, but it must have been the adrenaline (or the jet lag) that led me to the edge to simply just pose for pictures! My parents are going to think I photo shopped these!

From the Cliffs, we headed to our first stop – Galway. Along the way, we stopped in a town called Kilfenora. Here, I realized that I like the taste of tea!  After meeting some locals, we headed back on the road towards Galway.

Once arriving to Galway, we made it to our hostel. It is located in the center of downtown Galway and surrounded by restaurants, stores and pubs. We are going to head out tonight to a local pub after grabbing some dinner next door! I cannot wait to have a real Irish meal.

Tomorrow we are headed to the Aran Islands!

Sláinte!!
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment